Monday 14 October 2019

Book Review: AWK-WEIRD by Avery Flynn





There’s more to me than just being awk-weird. I own my own flower shop, have some great friends, and I have my eye on adopting the most adorable kitten. But sadly, hot guys don’t tend to be blown away by my trivia-spouting, dorky self.


So, when a Thor-lookalike who happens to be a professional hockey player hits on me at my bestie's wedding rehearsal party ... You better believe I climbed that tree like a cat. And the face that it happened not once, not twice, but three times? Yeah, that's pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime experience for a woman like me. 

There's zero chance I'll end up ever seeing him again...right? 

Until the pregnancy test comes up positive. What happens next?

Oh my God, I wish I knew...






Get Your Copy NOW:


Add on Goodreads




MY THOUGHTS


Is AWK-WEIRD funny? You bet! From Tess Gardner’s disgorging of facts whenever she feels awkward to Cole Phillips’ regimented system of living – he’s been eating the same breakfast since childhood. Ha!  – there are many humorous moments interspersed throughout the book.

In addition to the fun times, there are also the sexy times: Cole and Tess are without doubt hot for each other. Their physical relationship is definitely sizzling hot.

Yet what most appeals to me about Tess and Cole is their vulnerability. Each of them is looking for stability in their own way. Cole’s convinced a disciplined life with minimal change is the key to success. This may have worked in the past, but the wheels are starting to fall off his well-ordered life and he’s struggling.

Tess is also striving for a stable future. As the ‘poor relation’ who was shunted from one family member to the next during her childhood, Tess understands too well what it’s like not only to feel unwelcome but what it feels like to never have a proper foundation in life.

It’s an unplanned pregnancy that brings these two together beyond the initial agreed-upon one-night-stand. How do two so very different people reconcile themselves to a life sharing a child. One of the reasons I enjoy the unplanned pregnancy trope is that there is a limited time in which to make decisions. In Cole’s own words: ‘This hasn’t happened to me before. Do we get married? Do I cut a check? Do I need to set up a paternity test? Do we get lawyers involved? What happens next?’ It’s all these questions and more that Tess and Cole need to consider, and none of these take into account the awkwardness of the feelings they have for each other; feelings that never went away.

I was definitely cheering for this couple. They really are compatible even if initial impressions state otherwise.

I think Avery Flynn’s done a great job in telling this story. It’s well paced. It’s amusing. It’s heart-warming. It’s touching. It’s entertaining. 

*****



USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling romance author Avery Flynn has three slightly-wild children, loves a hockey-addicted husband and is desperately hoping someone invents the coffee IV drip. Avery was a reader before she was a writer and hopes to always be both. She loves to write about smartass alpha heroes who are great with a quip and relatable heroines who are feisty, fierce and fantastic.

Follow Avery:

Hosted By:

No comments:

Post a Comment